Spicy Black Beans
Recipe type: Side
Spicy Black Beans is a Venezuelan food recipe called Caraotas Negra.
- 450 grams dried black beans
- 1½ liters water
- ½ liter vegetable stock
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-3 hot red chilli peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6-10 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Put the beans in a large pan, add the water and soak overnight. Do not change the water.
- Add the chopped bell pepper to the water with salt and vegetable stock. Cook beans and pepper on medium heat for 60-80 minutes, until cooked.
- Meanwhile gently fry the chopped onion, chillies and garlic until golden brown.
- Stir in the cumin and remove from heat. Add the onions, chillies, garlic and cumin mix to the beans and simmer for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- The finished dish should have a good measure of juice (soup), which is often served separately from the beans.